The Trance Study Laboratory of the Sensation and Perception Research Group (GIGA Consciousness), headed by Dr. Audrey VANHAUDENHUYSE and Dr. Olivia GOSSERIES, invite applications for a PhD position (fully funded for 2 years, including 1 year probation period, potentially renewable for 2 more years). The candidate will be based at the Sensation and Perception Research Group-GIGA, University of Liège, Belgium. Positions will be available starting as soon as possible, and at the latest in June-July 2021.
The candidate will work on the clinical applications, phenomenological experience, and neurophysiological correlates of modified states of consciousness including cognitive trance, hypnosis and meditation. The targeted population will be patients who suffered from a cancer and have finished their treatments. Different behavioral and EEG tools will be used to advance understanding of these modified states of consciousness and evaluate their potential therapeutic effects. The research will include literature study, recruitment of participants, evaluations of participants, quantitative and qualitative analyses as well as articles redaction.
- Successfully or nearly finished Mec or equivalent graduate degrees in Psychology, Neuroscience, Biomedical Science, or a closely related field. Candidates with excellent grades and a strong interest on conducting research from an interdisciplinary perspective are encouraged to apply.
- Highly motivated candidate with strong interest in understanding application of complementary therapeutic approaches based on non-ordinary/modified state of consciousness and oncology.
- Experience in clinics, in neurophysiological techniques or with patients who had a cancer is an asset.
- Candidates must speak fluent French and English.
- Excellent knowledge of MS-Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Good statistical knowledge (SPSS, SAS, Statistica or R)
- Demonstrated experience in experimental research is an advantage, as well as good scientific skills and an ability to work with patients who had cancer.
- Ability to work independently at a multidisciplinary level and to engage close internal collaborations.
- Team-working abilities and interpersonal skills.
The application must include
- One-page statement of motivation and research interests
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of educational certificates
- Contact details of 2 references
- Two letters pf recommendation
Applications can be sent to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. All documents should be in English or French. Any questions related to the position can be directed to Audrey Vanhaudenhuyse, Charlotte Grégoire or Olivia Gosseries.
Deadline to receive application: March 15 2021